Why Work For VA?
Why Work For VA?
Good Work for a Great Cause and Excellent Employment Benefits
In addition to a rewarding career providing Veterans with high-quality service, you want a healthy, balanced lifestyle both on and off the job. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy as a VA employee:
- Career Advancement: Grow in your chosen career or explore options that stretch your skills. Hear how Veteran employees have pursued professional goals and interests while making a difference for fellow Veterans and their families.
- Competitive Salaries: More than just a steady paycheck, you will earn a strong starting salary and performance-based pay increases. Employees can also earn incentive awards for high performance, and are eligible for overtime and premium pay for some work schedules.
- Leave: Enjoy 10 paid federal holidays as well as 13 days of sick leave annually. New employees receive 13 days paid annual leave days (for vacation/personal leave) and long-term employees and many medical professionals receive up to 26 days.
- Education Benefits: Become an expert in your field by taking advantage of VA’s reimbursement for tuition, books and related fees, scholarships, fellowships and more. VA employees may also receive up to $10,000 per year to repay student loans.
- Financial Benefits: Stay financially healthy by taking advantage of a wide variety of life insurance plans, the Federal Retirement Plan, savings, flexible spending, paid time off (including all federal holidays) and more.
- Work-Life Balance: Achieve work-life balance with flexible work schedules, telework options, family leave, paid time off and transit subsidies (depending on occupation type and location). You will also have access to the Federal Occupational Health Work/Life Program, designed to help you and your loved ones better manage work, personal and family responsibilities.
- Health Care: Take care of yourself mentally and physically, with excellent health insurance benefits, screenings, employee health care centers, seminars and counseling services.
- Rewarding Work: Know that you play a critical role in caring for the brave men and women who have given so much to keep our country safe. By ensuring they receive the benefits they have earned, you can help ensure a healthy and secure future for Veterans and their families.